Wednesday 19 October 2011

Chapter Fourteen - Peeping Tom

"Dude, are you deaf?!"
Walking in with a hold all in his hand, he breezed past Rob and looked around the room. Rob's heart sank. And he felt guilty because Tom was the one person who he still connected with his pre-famous past.
"I'm not deaf, but I'm busy." Rob sighed, giving his long absent friend a hug.
Tom had been vague about his visit. But then, Tom was always vague. Ever since they were kids in school together, to going into acting together, there was one thing you rely on Tom Sturridge for...that he couldn't be relied upon to arrive when he should. After surveying the room, Tom turned to look at his old friend who was still adjusting his shirt.
"You've got the kidding me." Tom laughed, dropping his bag in the middle of room before stifling his laughter behind the sleeve of his hoodie.
Rob rolled his eyes. "You need to leave!"
Hanging behind the door, Seren pulled her dress back up and pulled erratic fingers through her hair. Her heart was beating wildly for an entirely different reason now, and somehow she felt light headed. She sat back down on the bed and listened for a sign that she could move.
"I just got here." Tom replied, his tone playful but tired. "Would you prefer I leave momentarily so you can sneak her out and then come back?"
"It's not like that." Rob protested. "You know there's been nobody since Nina."
Seren flinched. They hadn't had the "exes" talk yet. The days were too early. But to discover there had been a girl called Nina...it made her feel strange in a way she didn't entirely like.
"Dude, you actually want me to leave?"
Rob sighed heavily. "Remember that time we were at Sam's flat? And he was in France at that family thing? Remember how I walked the 5 miles home so that you could have the place to yourself with that girl you met in Groucho?"
There was a short silence. "You could have got a cab."
In any other situation, this would have been an argument. But between the two of them it was simply a discussion between two people who could talk to each other in such a way without causing offence. Seren realised he must be a really close friend, and wondered if she should just make her presence known and leave herself.
"You could have kept it in your pants and let me stay there. Or given me some cash. I seem to remember you having some that night, when I didn't!"
Tom seemed to be munching on something as he spoke. "Well...fallen on your feet now dude. Nice Sushi..."
Rob muttered something under his breath.
"If you leave now, you can go downstairs and drink whatever you like as much as you like, on me. And I'll even buy you breakfast tomorrow. With coffee."
"You really like her, don't you?" Tom said, all joviality in his voice gone and it's place was a genuine affection for his friend.
She heard Rob sigh again. "Seren...come out here."
She stared at herself in the full length mirror which hung on the back of the door and took a deep breath. Pushing the door aside slowly she saw a scruffy looking guy appraise her. He dressed like Rob, but without the charm. She greeted him with a smile, and he smiled back. He had a kind face, and as he extended his hand for her to shake she knew she already liked him.
"Tom...this is Seren. Seren...Tom Sturridge. Our local cock blocker."
Seren giggled at the reference as Tom clipped Rob playfull around the head.
"Nice to meet you." He said, before nodding in agreement. "Well, I'd best get down to the bar so your cock is no longer blocked. See you again sometime Seren."
And with that he left, leaving behind a sense of bemusement.
Rob pulled her into the circle of his arms again. "I'm so sorry about that."
"Don't be." She murmurred. "I have to go now, anyway."
But he held her tighter. "You don't have to go. He wont come back up here unless I say so."
But for the first time all day Seren realised the time. "India will be wondering where I am."
"Call her." He requested. "I didn't know Tom would be coming tonight. He's never been good about making solid arrangements. But I can get him another room. You could...stay."
"You realise what you're saying?" Seren checked.
"I know I only just met you three days ago. I know all of that. But you have no idea what you do to me. And it's not just sex...I swear. Since Saturday I've thought of nothing else. If I was stuck in an elevator with you again, It would be the most amazing thing ever. And I know it's insane, it's not like me. I'm sorry...I always spoil things. I either say too much or don't say enough."
He pulled away and shook his head regretfully. But Seren felt the pull and wished he hadn't moved away. Despite herself, she had thought of nothing but him too. And try as she might, three days felt much longer when she was with him.
"I want to stay. More than anything. But if I do, I'm afraid it will be too soon. We've barely scratched the surface. And if we do this now...what else is there?"
"What else is there? You make it sound like you've never had a relationship before." Said Rob, his hand touching hers, gently pulling her closer.
"Not really." She confessed. "There has been nobody....significant. How about you?"
He knew she had heard him speaking to Tom. She sensed he mulled it over in his mind, the way his eyes darted away from her and back towards the window.
"I suppose so. But we were always better as friends. I loved her because she was my friend."
She knew she had to regain herself. Everything which had happened since she arrived in the city was so far removed from her life her head was spinning.
"You have my number now. Call me when you want me on set." She said, and his body tensed up.
"You say it so casually." He remarked.
"I've never done this before. I don't know what to say."
He smiled ruefully and placed a solitary kiss on her forehead. "I'll call you in the morning." He promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment